Sunday, July 10, 2011

A gift from Lousia May Alcott


A SONG FROM THE SUDS

Queen of my tub, I merrily sing,
While the white foam rises high;
and sturdily wash and rinse and wring,
     And fasten the clothes to dry;
Then out in the free fresh air they swing,
     Under the sunny sky.

I wish we could wash from our hearts and souls
     The stains of the week away,
And let water and air by their magic make
     ourselves as pure as they;
Then on the earth there would be indeed
     A glorious washing day!

Along the path of a useful life,
     Will heart's-ease ever bloom;
The busy mind has no time to think
     Of sorrow or care or gloom;
And anxious thoughts may be swept away,
     As we bravely wield a broom.

I am glad a task to me is given,
     To labor at day by day;
For it brings me health and strength and hope,
     And I cheerfully learn to say,-
"Head, you may think, Heart, you may feel,
But, Hand, you shall work alway!"

from Little Women


No comments:

Post a Comment